The call for applications for Wallonia-Brussels ASEM-DUO mobility grants for the academic year 2022-23 is now open. The submission deadline is 28 April 2022.
DUO/Wallonia-Brussels has been established in 2014 by the Wallonia-Brussels Federation (FW-B) in order to promote exchanges of professors between higher education institutions (HEIs) from Wallonia-Brussels and Asia. The mobility activity must be carried out over a period of 3 weeks to 2 months and involves a pair of professors/researchers. Candidates do not necessarily have to work in the same field of study.
As a rule, the ASEM-DUO Fellowship Programme aims at:
- promoting balanced mobility between higher education professors from the two regions;
- setting up regular exchange programmes between HEIs;
- reinforcing cooperation and dialogue across both regions.
Partner countries include: Australia, Bangladesh, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Pakistan, the Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.
The exchange is done by pair: one professor from a Wallonia-Brussels HEI is hosted by an Asian institution, whereas an Asian professor is hosted by a Wallonia-Brussels institution. The exchange must necessarily take place between the same two institutions, but does not need to unfold during the same time span, nor between two identical departments.
Applicants must be members of the academic or scientific staff of a Wallonia-Brussels or an Asian higher education institution (i.e. they must be remunerated by the HEI and it must be their main occupation).
However, the following groups are not entitled to a fellowship:
- students and PhD students,
- professors emeritus and honorary professors,
- teaching assistants.
Exemptions are possible for colleges of arts. The selection committee will review eligibility on a case-by-case basis.
For the academic year 2022-2023 the DUO Wallonia-Brussels grants are awarded to a pair of professors for a project that should take place between 1st August 2022 and 31 August 2023. The total amount of the 2022-2023 ASEM-DUO Fellowship Programme is 50 000€.
The duration and the amount of the grants enter these conditions:
- The duration of the exchange should be of at least three weeks and of maximum two months, per person.
- The amount of the grant awarded to the pair of professors is a fixed amount of 5,000€ to be shared between the two professors according to a distribution key agreed in the convention.
- This amount is intended to cover the travel expenses and per diem capped at the amount of the grant.
- The grant will be paid off in instalments; the last instalment is paid after both professors have submitted a mission report (maximum 4 pages).
More information about the eligibility criteria, funding and duration can be found in this document.
The application form can be found here.