Description of the Project
The ASEF Young Leaders Summit (ASEFYLS) is the place for Asian and European young professionals and students to meet political leaders, top-tier business representatives, prominent thinkers and doers. It is the forum for youth to voice ideas and develop a Call for Action addressed to ASEM Leaders on education and youth employment issues that matter to Asia and Europe.
The ASEFYLS takes place alongside ASEM Summits or ASEM Ministers’ Meetings, where Leaders, Head of States or Ministers from the 51 ASEM partner countries, the EU and the ASEAN Secretariat discuss the status and future of Asia-Europe relations.
More information on the ASEF’s project page.
Aims and objectives
- Creating personal interactions between youth and political leaders at high-level ASEM meetings
- Creating opportunities for youth interventions at an ASEM Summit or Ministers’ Meetings
- Developing Spin-off activities and actions that shape possible policy directions within the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Process
- Providing access to an invaluable network of young leaders across Asia and Europe.
ASEM Partners and Stakeholders involved
ASEF as main organiser, supported by local civil society partners and hosting ASEM partner country
Progress and Achievements
- In total 3 ASEF Young Leaders Summits have been organised.
- The last Summit (3rd ASEF Young Leaders Summit (ASEFYLS3) too place with ASEM12, 15-19 October 2018, Brussels, Belgium; preceded by 2 ASEFYLS Navigators Trainings
- In total 160 participants from 51 ASEM Partner countries for Summit and 20 participants from 17 countries each Navigators Training
- ASEM Youth Interventions at ASEM12
- 15 Meetings between ASEFYLS participants and ASEM Leaders (Presidents, Prime Ministers, Head of States)
- 4 spin-off activities on ethical leadership in Asian and European communities implemented independently by ASEFYLS participants
- Video and photo productions on theme for ASEM visibility and promotion of theme
- For a comprehensive overview of results, visit the ASEFYLS3 project page.
overall initiative ongoing
ASEMME7: Chair’s Conclusions 37 and 38
- 4th ASEF Young Leaders Summit (ASEFYLS4), Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 2020
- ca. 150participants from 51 ASEM Partner countries for Summit and 20 participants for each Navigators Training
- ASEM Youth Intervention at ASEM13
- Meetings between ASEFYLS participants and ASEM Leaders (Presidents, Prime Ministers, Head of States)
- Capacity training for youth on ethics and leadership
- ASEM visibility through project promotion among Asian and European networks, including survey on youth perceptions linked to ethics and leadership
- Side-events and spin-off activities
The Project contributes to: