9th Model ASEM – in conjunction with the 14th ASEM Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
The Model ASEM introduces students to the world of international relations, Asia-Europe diplomacy and negotiation. Organised by ASEF in conjunction with the actual ASEM Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, it is a political simulation of the actual political process to generate interest and increase awareness of ASEM among university students. The Model ASEM series provides participants with a golden opportunity to personally interact with ASEM Foreign Minister and government officials.
In addition to the main Model ASEM conference, local student and youth associations organise Model ASEM Spin-off Editions which are supported by ASEF. Adapted to the local setting, the Spin-off Editions are smaller in scale and serve as local community engagement and ASEM promotion. More info on the ASEF website.
The 9th Model ASEM will take place from 11-16 December in Madrid, Spain under the title ‘Asia & Europe – Together for Effective Multilateralism’.
The 9th Model ASEM will consist of 3 phases:
- Phase 1: Online Preparatory phase (6 weeks)
- Prior to playing out the role as a Foreign Minister or Delegation member at the 9th Model ASEM, participants will attend online crash courses on policy making, webinars on Asia-Europe relations and complete individual and group tasks and research. During the online preparatory phase they might also get in touch with officials at Ministries of Foreign Affairs to build up a stronger expertise on ASEM.
- Phase 2: Model ASEM Simulation in Madrid, Spain (5 days)
- The programme in Spain consists of plenary sessions and thematic working groups with a focus on the key topics also discussed by the ASEM Foreign Ministers at the ASEMFMM14. As a concrete outcome, participants will develop a consensus-based Chair’s Statement which will be presented to the ASEM Foreign Ministers at the Opening Ceremony of the ASEMFMM14.
- In addition, students will also participate in practical trainings, and visit Diplomatic Missions of ASEM countries located in Madrid to gain an in-depth knowledge about their operations and functions.
- Phase 3: 14th ASEM Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (ASEMFMM14)
- Participants get the chance to attend parts of the official ASEMFMM14 programme and to interact with their Foreign Minister and government officials and/or of other ASEM countries.
- The grand finale: Student participants will present a summary of the project’s outcomes to the ASEM Foreign Ministers at the Opening Ceremony of the ASEMFMM14.
The Open Call for this project is now closed.
More information can be found on the ASEF’s 9th Model ASEM webpage
|Date||11/12/2019 - 16/12/2019|