The first call for applications for ASEM-DUO Sweden mobility grants for the academic year 2021-2022 will be launched shortly. Applications will be accepted from 12 April to 20 May 2021 (local Swedish time, GMT+1). Applications submitted after 20 May 2021 will not be accepted.
The DUO-Sweden Fellowship Programme was established in 2010 and is sponsored by the Swedish Council for Higher Education with the aim of promoting exchanges of people between Sweden and 21 Asian countries (Australia, Bangladesh, Brunei Darussalam, Myanmar, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, New Zealand, Pakistan, the Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam) on a balanced basis.
In this respect, DUO-Sweden requires that a pair (two persons) of students be exchanged in an academic cooperative arrangement. Students are defined as follows: undergraduate and graduate students who are currently enrolled in universities.
Due to the unique nature of this program, in order to be eligible, the following are required:
Your exchange fulfils all three requirements below:
- An educational institution in Sweden (home institution) and an educational institution in Asia (host institution) have established an academic cooperative agreement/inter-institutional agreement;
- The Swedish home institution has selected an EU national student enrolled at the home institution to send to the Asian host institution, and such selection has been accepted by the Asian host institution;
- The same Asian host institution has selected an Asian student enrolled at the host institution to send to the Swedish home institution, and such selection has been accepted by the same Swedish home institution.
Duration and Amount of DUO-Sweden Fellowships
DUO-Sweden 2021/2022 applies exclusively to exchange projects starting from August 2021 and ending before September 2022. DUO-Sweden 2021/2022 selection is made only once a year. In this respect, those who are planning an exchange during the Spring Semester 2022 (January-August 2022) shall apply for DUO-Sweden 2021/2022.
The duration of fellowship is limited to one semester (or 4 months, whichever comes earlier). The amount of the fellowships is standardized as follows:
- High-income countries: 3,500 Euro per student in a pair.
- Middle- and low-income countries: 4,000 Euro per Asian student and 3,000 Euro Swedish student.
- The duration of exchange should be at least one semester and the scholarship is only available for those studying full-time (minimum 24 ECTS/16 weeks). Exchanges of less than one semester are not allowed. If a semester is longer than 4 months in the visiting institution, the fellowship will be awarded for 4 months.
In the event that a student exchange lasts for a fewer number of weeks than granted, the scholarship will be adjusted on a pro-rata basis and repayment of the funds provided will be required.
Additional information can be found on the ASEM-DUO Fellowship Programme website.