The call for applications for an ASEM-DUO mobility grant for the academic year 2018-2019 is open. The Submission deadline is 20th of April 2018. The ASEM DUO Fellowship Programme offers the possibility to professors, lecturers and researchers to do an exchange by pair in Asia and in the Wallonia Brussels Federation.
ASEM DUO-Belgium/Wallonia-Brussels has been established at the Wallonia-Brussels Federation in order to promote “paired exchanges” between professors from Wallonia-Brussels HEIs and Asian ones. Partner countries are Australia, Bangladesh, Brunei, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Pakistan, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Applicants must be member of the academic or scientific staff of an institution of Wallonia-Brussels HEI or an Asian HEI (i.e. they must be remunerated by the HEI and it must be their main occupation). However, the following groups are not entitled for a fellowship: Students and PhD students, Professors emeritus, honorary professors, Temporary staff, Teaching assistants. Exemptions are possible for the colleges of arts. The selection committee will assess on a case-by-case basis.
The exchange is done by pairs – one professor from a Wallonia-Brussels HEI is hosted by an Asian institution, whereas an Asian professor is hosted by a Wallonia-Brussels institution. The exchange must necessarily take place between the two same institutions, but does not need to take place in the same time span, nor between two identical departments.
Eligibility criteria for participating institutions
The applicants must meet all eligibility requirements below:
- Applicants must be member of the academic or scientific staff of an institution of a Wallonia-Brussels HEI or an Asian HEI (i.e. they must be remunerated by the HEI and it must be their main occupation);
- The Wallonia-Brussels and Asian HEIs must be recognised/accredited by the competent authorities in the field of higher education;
- The Asian institution must be located in one of the following countries : Australia, Bangladesh, Brunei, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Pakistan, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam;
- The Wallonia-Brussels and Asian HEIs must signed a cooperation agreement or must have expressed the intention to sign one in the two following years;
- The applicants who already begun the exchange before the application period of the 2018 DUO-Wallonia/Brussels programme do not qualify for the grant;
- According to the framework established by ASEM-DUO, the nationality of the professors is not a criterion for eligibility;
- The fellowship programme is open to all disciplines.
Funding and duration
For the academic year 2018-2019, the ASEM-DUO Belgium/Wallonia-Brussels grants are awarded to a pair of professors for a project that should take place between August 2018 and August 2019. The total amount of the 2018 ASEM-DUO Fellowship Programme is 50 000€.
The duration and the amount of the grants enter these conditions:
- The duration of the exchange should be of at least one month per person (although the month can be divided in 2×15 days with a pause in between) and of maximum three months;
- The amount of the grant awarded to the pair of professors is 5,000€ per month for the two professors (or a total amount of 15,000€ for a three-month exchange for the pair);
- This amount is intended to cover the travel expenses and per diem capped at the amount of the grant;
- The grant will be paid off in instalments; the last instalment is paid after both professors have submitted a joint mission report (maximum 4 pages).
Applications will be accepted until April 20th 2018 GMT+1. Applications submitted beyond that deadline will not be accepted.
More information as well as the application forms can be found on the ARES website